PLEASE DO NOT OPEN BURN. Dry and windy conditions make it unsafe until further notice.
Members: Jon Bondy (Chair), Sue Ferguson, N. Todd Pritsky, Terry Riggs (Road Commissioner), Jesse Wiens
Guests: Aimee Tinker (Assistant Town Clerk & Treasurer), Bill Stygles (Animal Control Officer), Gordon Little, Steven Little, Shane Sizen, Kelly Brown
1) Call to Order
Jon Bondy called the meeting to order at 7:00pm.
2) Board Reorganization
Jon Bondy ~ Board Chair
Terry Riggs ~ Road Commissioner
Aimee Tinker ~ Clerk
3) Public Comments
There was a discussion of recent issues involving dogs at the Little and Sizen properties. Bill Stygles shared his interactions with both parties. Both parties shared their complaints and concerns. Shane and Kelly offered letters from friends attesting to the good nature of their dog, Murphy. (These are filed in the select Board binder.) Both parties agreed to keep their dogs on leashes as well as their mutual intent to put up fencing once the ground was thawed. They were advised to report any incidents as soon as they happen so they can be properly documented.
A resident emailed the Town requesting changing the Town and School Meetings to a weekend day or evening. N. Todd shared that this was discussed at Town Meeting in 2011 but no changes were made. Jon said the law states it must occur within three days on either side of Town Meeting Day, the first Tuesday in March. He suggested putting it forth as an article next year and if so voted, the change would occur in 2018.
5) Regular Board Business
A. Welcome New Member
Jon welcomed Jesse to the Board and explained the basics of how the meeting runs, what’s in the Select Board folder, how Warrants work, etc.
B. Road Report
Terry shared that they crew has been sanding quite a bit. He had been talking with Jim Smith who helps us with grants for road projects. They’ve discussed recent changes to the Storm water/Run-Off Act in the legislature and how they will affect future projects, specifically culvert replacement.
C. New Town Office
Terry shared that the floor installation is almost complete. The vault walls were ground last week and its fire suppression system was installed. The new door should be installed sometime next week.
They’ve run out of the cherry wood trim so Terry is buying the extra needed. He is also looking into getting an automatic transfer switch for a back-up generator.
The builder has installed all interior wiring for data/telephone lines so the guys from NEMRC will be able to take it from there to set up our computer system. Terry gave an estimated date of April 15, if all goes well.
Jon has suggested that the Town Clerk, Listers, Zoning, and the Board, all brainstorm a “to-do list” of items/tasks needed prior to the move, as well as a plan for the move itself. This will be discussed further at the next meeting.
D. Truck Purchase
The Select Board only had voter approval to purchase a new truck and not borrow money to purchase, and since the money had not been allocated specifically for that purpose within the budget, we will need to take out a loan to repay the Equipment Fund for the cost of the truck. Rhonda from the Union Bank has advised us to secure a loan for one year terms and renew for additional one year terms until paid in full. This option would include a total payment of principal plus interest of $15,000.
E. Wilson Property
The thirty day waiting period has passed and no one has come forward with an interest in the property. The property will be offered to the Wilsons at a cost of with the discussed stipulations that it will (1) remain undeveloped (no subdivisions or used as building lot) for two years and (2) will be cleaned up within that same time period. If it is not cleaned up sufficiently, the Town will do so at the Wilson’s expense. The Listers will note this property as “bulk acreage”.
Terry shared that a residence off of the Fairfield Road may be baiting coyotes with dead deer carcasses. He would like to know the legality of this, as it may attract dogs and lead to more issues. (Karrie Sweet checked into this as the meeting continued and shared that it was legal.)
During production of the Town Report, the Auditors had expressed a need for a new laptop. It would also be used for electronic record retention and other office work. Jon researched and purchased a new laptop and will be reimbursed by the Town.
There was a discussion about a resident’s use of a driveway that was not authorized by the Town. Jon will ask the Town Clerk to consult the Town’s lawyer as to the Town’s liability if an accident were to occur at that location.
There was also a discussion of the suggestion at Town Meeting to draft a letter or petition to the State regarding money for paving and the conditions of roads. Jon has written up a letter for the next newsletter addressing this issue. The Select Board will review the letter and re-visit it at the next meeting. They will also solicit and share feedback from Jim Cota (VT DOT) and Dan Connor (State Representative).
Meeting adjourned at 8:25pm.
Select Board members present were Terry Riggs, NTodd Pritsky and Sue Ferguson, Jon Bondy.
Guests: Karrie Sweet (Town Clerk), Bill Stygles, Shawn Bishop, Maurice Rathburn (Zoning Administrator)
New Town Offices:
Things are moving along well. The heat was turned on today and the Painting is done. The frames for the drop ceiling are in place and the interior doors are in.
The trucks are running good now. . We have used less than ¼ of the Sand for the year, however we had to get more salt for the impending storms this week.
2016 Town Meeting:
We discussed who could run the checklist for the election and who could help count ballots.
Proposed Pavement Budget:
Terry shared quotes that he got indicating that it takes about 40K to grind the pavement and add the needed base. We discussed that any structure on the road would need a hydrology study and state permit. It takes 2 years based on our past experience to get a permit. We discussed possible proposals for how we will attack the paving that is needed in town.
We will work with Fast trash to continue pickup at the old Town Garage lot every other Saturday. NTodd will follow up with them to create a contract. We are also investigating the process for a permitted waste site at the town garage.
We had two complaints from adjoining neighbors for excessive barking. We suggested that the complaints be worked out between the two of them. If the issue persists then they will come back to the Select Board.
We had a third complaint about a dog pooping on John Labree’s lawn. The dog owner has not yet been identified.
We discussed the current permit fees the town charges. Maurice has polled other towns to see what they charge and he will be working on adjusting the Fletcher fees accordingly.
We adjourned at 8:30. Our next scheduled meeting is Feb 29, 2016. Minutes were written by Sue Ferguson and submitted for review on February 16th, 2016.